My 12 month old grand baby girl needs a hat with ear flaps to keep her little head and ears warm. How exciting to have an excuse to go pattern shopping. I am sure I could have found a free pattern online somewhere but as I walked into my local yarn store (how lucky for me that the store is just across the road from work), the Sirdar Jack-in-a-box Knits book looked right down at me from up on the top shelf. On the front page of that book is this very cute hat. (I have just seen on Ravelry that this pattern is available as a pamphlet but the book has lots of wonderful patterns and they all go up to 7 years so I will definitely use it again.)
I was very tempted to buy wool along with the pattern but that would have been silly. I have lots and lots of wool in my stash, especially double knit. So that night I had lots of fun sorting through my stash to find just the right colours after spreading most of it across the lounge floor. My daughter asked me to please make the colours feminine as everyone keeps mistaking her baby for a boy because she hasn’t quite managed to grow any hair yet.
So I instantly decided on the raspberry pink for the main colour. This is a gorgeous Rowan baby merino and silk yarn that I had left over after knitting a little Rowan cardigan for a family member who lives in the UK. That is definitely a feminine colour. I also decided quickly on the left over purple alpaca from a little double breasted jacket I had made. But I wasn’t so sure about the third colour. I was going away that weekend so I packed up all the possible third colour combinations and knitted up some samples. Then off the pictures went via text to my daughter to choose.
This is her choice with the grey as the third colour.
How could you mistake that little face for a boy!
The pattern was easy to follow and had no mistakes. The only problem I had was when I cast on the hat. You knit the ear flaps first and then leave them on stitch holders. Then you start casting on the main hat, joining the ear flaps in as you go. The cast on between the ear flaps uses the finger method and I am not very good at that. My cast on stitches are not very neat as you can see at the front of the hat. I tried to tidy it later by doing a single crochet over the knitted cast on stitches. It helped a bit but the cast on is still crooked but bubba doesn’t mind.
The first for me in making this hat was the tassel. Great instructions in the book and very easy. Although I made a nice thick one and then decided it was too think so pulled half of it out. Then my friend at work made the same hat and she had a big luxurious thick tassel which gave me tassel envy.
The pattern also has tassels at the bottom of the ear flaps but I made twisted cords (well the lady in the LYS did) as our little girl decides she doesn’t want a hat on her head and off it comes. This one she won’t be able to pull off.
Pattern book – Jack-in-a-box Knits
Pattern – Design 1958 helmet
Yarn – Indiecita baby alpaca DK, Rowan baby merino silk Dk and Naturally Loyal 8ply
Link to Ravelry here