My daughter asked me to knit a gift for her baby group Christmas swap partner. We searched through my patterns and she chose this little sundress from a Bergere magazine (English version). I love it when someone goes through my patterns and chooses something for me to knit. I would never have made this cute baby sundress if it wasn’t for that.
We chose a yarn made by Lotus yarns, called Autumn Wind. It is 90% cotton and 10% cashmere and is so soft with that little touch of gorgeous cashmere. The yarn used in the Bergere magazine for this sundress is Coton Fifty which is a 4ply. The Autumn Wind yarn is a 5ply but a tension square and an adjustment of the needles size meant the sundress came out the perfect size.
This little sundress is going to be sent to a baby girl in Sydney, Australia. Sydney has very hot summers so this little sundress should get a lot of use (with lots of baby sunscreen of course).
The sundress pattern was made with the front and the back being the same with a small 1×1 ribbed bottom and the top of the sundress had a little stitched down hem to thread a cord through. The pattern uses a french knitter to make a 75cm cord. I made the cord using the i-cord technique, which is so easy and knits up quickly. However, if I made this sundress again, I would knit the i-cord a little longer, possibly 80cm.
The Bergere pattern was adorned with 3 different crocheted fruit but my daughter may have felt sorry for me knowing my crochet skills are a bit rusty so she suggested we put only one piece of fruit on and she chose the pineapple. I had a ball of bright yellow yarn in my stash but no green 4ply. None of my knitting friends (not that I have many) had any green yarn so I ended up buying some bright green embroidery thread and it worked perfectly. Much cheaper than buying a ball of green yarn.
I hope the recipient of this little purple sundress adorned with a pineapple loves it and that the baby enjoys wearing it.
Pattern book – Bergere Knit Mag 0-10 yrs
Pattern – 34 Dress
Yarn – Lotus Yarn Autumn Wind
Link to Ravelry project here